Peaceful, comforting and pleasant, this historic hilltop church oversees a hill near Neumarkt, Austria, northeast of Salzburg. Known locally as Sommerholzkirche, it welcomes eyes and spirit with its wonderful baroque architecture and summertime wildflower meadow. First mentioned in historic records in 1475, and dedicated to St. George, the building nearly was lost on 6 February 1948. Lightning started a fire that severely damaged the tower, with heat so intense the 550-pound (250-kg) bell melted. Postwar recoveries delayed tower reconstruction until 1958. Copper cladding replaced the larch-wood shingles that had accelerated the inferno, and two smaller bells replaced the one lost.